21 December 2006

A dirty little word

J O Y

That's a word that gets tossed around, usually by smiling faces who seem as if they've never had a rough moment in their lives. It's hard for some of us to even imagine being joyous ever, let alone possessing a life-long joy. But what, exactly, is Joy?

A quick glance at dictionary.com (What, you thought I was going to quote Webster's?) gives us a few definitions. The first is what you'd suspect: a rapturous or elated state of being. But it's the other one I care about: a source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something or someone greatly valued or appreciated.

THIS kind of joy is what gets me through life. My life, as Morrissey claims, is a pigsty most of the time. But I possess that second kind of joy. I have four children, a couple of people I'd refer to as intimate friends and, most importantly, I have the hope of heaven. It is great joy!

That's why when I was having a really crappy the other day, I was able to turn on the Newsboys' Joy and still relate.

You give me joy that's unspeakable
And I like it, and I like it
Your love for me's irresistable
I can't fight it, I can't fight it

1 comment:

Chris Angelico said...

What is the chief end of man? To glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

You don't "enjoy" God the way you "enjoy" a nice hot cup of tea. "Solid joys and lasting pleasures None but Zion's children know." We have many privileges, not the least of them being this joy, coming in part from hope, and in part from what we've already experienced.

Happiness is fleeting. Contentment is a state of mind. But joy is a state of the soul, and none can ever take it from you.

In doubt, difficulty, and danger, rejoice that God has his hand on you. It's not that you're hanging onto Him... He's holding you, what comfort that gives!