02 October 2006

There's a sucker born every minute

...and apparently all of them work for my insurance company.

After much effort and attempt on my part at keeping my exact address a private matter, my insurance company (WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE) decided to add me to my husband's auto insurance policy because his lawyer told them they had to. And instead of asking HIM for my address, they simply looked me up in their system, got my new address from my own insurance policy, and added me to his account.

And sent him a letter with my new contact info on it.

Nice, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They probably think they were doing the right thing - "he has an insurance policy, she should be covered by it too" - but nonetheless I am appalled at the breach of privacy.

Naturally they couldn't know that you were being ultra-careful with information, but even so, people shouldn't abuse what they know by revealing it to other people. Ask to see their privacy policy, and take someone to task for it.

The real question, though, is: Now what? It's not like an email address, where you can just discard it and get a new one.