01 April 2009

Christian dating websites...why?!

I was just over on Facebook, being all facebooky, when off to the left of whatever I was doing was an ad for "Christian Mingle," a dating website for Christians. I'm curious so I went and looked. Mind you, my children told me the other day, "You should go on eharmony.com and find a husband." But really, I'm kinda anti-dating website for a variety of reasons.

First off, a non-Christian friend of mine has used said websites and Craigslist personals. While the guys she meets purport to be interested in relationships, in the end she's nothing but a booty call. She finally decided to pull all of her ads off. The last straw was some guy telling her that "redheads are hot and have big boobs." Yeah, that's a winner right there. Makes me want to run right out and meet him!


Then from a Christian perspective, I have a few questions. The first is, "Is this a good use of my time and energy?"

2 comments:

Michael Angelico said...

You just popped up in my RSS feed and I thought "Hey, I bet she'd thought she lost me!"

Ahem.

Christian dating web sites are part of the same scam as Christian computer games, Christian coffee shops, Christian comic books, Christian TV and radio stations, and ads in the Directory of Christian Businesses. People think that since they're Christian they're a good thing to do. It doesn't work that way!

The right way to look at it is this: if you're looking for a dating site, or TV station, or coffee shop, and there's a choice between a Christian one and a non-Christian one, you're probably better off going for the Christian one. But if you weren't already looking for one, don't jump in just because it's run by Christians!

Devout Hypocrite said...

Actually, I had stopped using the blog at all but I'm baaaaack!

Things are a little different here in terms of Christian businesses. If you were to look in my local phone book, you would probably see a Jesus Fish in half the ads...but you might not be any better off using that business.

Christianity here is cultural, so a "Christian" business is usually the same as a regular business.

As for the dating sites, I think they're dumb. It's basically the Abraham-taking-Hagar-instead-of-waiting-on-God bit.