22 April 2009

What will YOU be like when you get old and senile?

I've been busting my tail at a long-term care facility, so I've encountered some absolutely funny situations. One thing that gets me is that when old people start losing their minds, they talk about events that happened yeaaaaars ago. That got me to thinking.

What will -I- talk about?

I hope to God I am not one of those women who flashes residents for bingo cards or something unless I've had some fake boobs put in. Otherwise, I guess by that time, I'll just pick up my skirt? (Counter that with the pervy old men who actually pay women like that).

Will I be one of those women who sings songs that no one knows because they're from, like, a gazillion years ago and not popular. When I sing Morrissey's "Life Is a Pigsty", will someone think I'm suicidal?

Oh no! Will I think I'm a mage or a warrior or a cleric or something from a roleplaying game? Will I wiggle my fingers at people, thinking I'm casting a spell?

This is kind of a creepy thought. What's your worst nightmare that you might do when you get old?

4 comments:

Chris Angelico said...

To be quite honest, I think I'll probably kill myself before I go senile. What with my poor diet, worse care of my health, and propensity for playing with dangerous toys, it's likely I won't have to worry about senility!

However, if I do end up talking nonsense, it would probably be completely incomprehensible to the poor staff around me. Even when I talk sanely, nobody can understand me... doesn't bode well for the madness!

Anonymous said...

I'll be in a constant state of soiled undergarments.

Devout Hypocrite said...

Mr, yours or someone else's?

Michael Angelico said...

I think I can be fairly sure of the musical material I would be blabbering, and I'd probably roleplay Eccles and Bluebottle.

But really, I think I'm most likely to die after being hit by an unlicenced taxi driver doing an illegal u-turn in front of the tram (trolley car) I'm trying to catch while doing a Smart Passengers survey.