04 February 2011

A cup of coffee is good for the soul

If you've ever gone through a fellowship drought, then you know how you get so thirsty for community that eventually it becomes an undefined emotional ache that just nibbles at your subconscious every now and again. Or maybe that's just me.

ANYway...

I have gone years without true, voluntary, no-pressure fellowship. Sure, I've attended choir practices and church suppers (where I usually ended up sitting by myself), women's events and Bible studies. I tried helping in kitchens and with events, only to be shut out by others who knew each other better and didn't have a want or need to know me. I slowly became so tired of trying that I went to complacent and possibly even to averse and unpleasant in nature.

So I guess I was kinda surprised when a friend from community group asked me to go to coffee the other day. Our planned 30 minutes turned into 2 hours and I remembered just how AWESOME fellowship is. I left with a sense of purpose, and I think she did too. It's funny how just one cup of coffee can do that, eh?

3 comments:

Auntie Kate said...

I must admit I've never experienced what you've felt, but I'm glad you had a renewal in fellowship. I hope this is opens up new chances for you to be part of the community. I know we're all part of the body of Christ, and we're supposed to fellowship, but frankly, I've never quite gotten over the idea that they'll suddenly decide to "burn the witch".

Devout Hypocrite said...

I really do hear you on that. My comment is often that I must be a toenail or a spleen in the Body of Christ, because I am so weird. But I can honestly say that my church is made up of a bunch of weirdos. At long last.

Michael Angelico said...

I guess it runs in the family... I usually end up drinking my cuppa by myself at church too. And at other places too. Although I have had success through helping with things - maybe the difference there is because nobody does anything here so anyone who lifts a finger to do any work is welcomed with open arms.