19 March 2007

we interrupt this semi-amusing blog for a serious moment

I promise I'll blog as my usual sarcastic, sorta witty self in the next entry. But I've got a rant and it ain't about Nickelback.

Last night I was invited to a church to watch Facing the Giants, a film involving football and faith (two cultural phenoma the South would be lost without). I must compliment the filmmakers for the fine job they did. Honestly, I was surprised that the actors in the film are simply church members, not professional actors. Maybe one or two I might've pegged, but the leading characters were well-portrayed. Additionally, the visual and audio quality and directing seemed quite professional.

But I have a problem. (SPOILERS ahead for people who are completely unable to predict plot resolutions from the beginning of a film)

The message of this film, despite the characters' resolution to praise and serve God no matter what the outcome, seems to be that if you just have ENOUGH faith, God will be on your side and help you win. Indeed, the protagonist gets everything he ever dreamed of and more: a new truck, a long-expected child, a state championship...it just goes on and on. These people, they pray and decide to thank God for NOT allowing them to have things and then suddenly! tada! He whips out the present He was hiding behind His back.

This is a fairly common doctrine among the middle class American church, isn't it? Isn't it the lighter, feel-holy version of health and wealth? God will be on your side if you just believe?

What a disservice to our Christian brothers and sisters in China, in India, all around the world -- people who suffer and die for their faith. Didn't they believe enough? Are you saying that they would have not died if they simply stepped out and trusted God?

And speaking of trusting God, my 12 year old daughter pointed out that Jesus Himself would not be a "Christian" by this doctrine. He was a simple carpenter at first. During His ministry, He said that He (the Son of Man) had no place to lay his head. In the end He was tortured and mutilated so much that you could scarce tell He was a man. And she, my sweet daughter, reminded me that Jesus came not as a King but as one who suffered so that we would know He understood. She said, "Jesus went through hard things to show us the way to get through hard things."

No, we are not meant for the easy way. We are meant for the difficult journey and we walk the road knowing that suffering produces fruit. When we stumble, He is there to right us so we may continue on - He is not there to move us to the wide and comfortable path.

In a completely unprofound statement, I say: Life sucks. Life sucks a lot.

But oh, my faith grows through all of this hardship. Some people would point and say "Where is your God now?" How can I explain? How can I find words to express the shaping and molding of my faith and my spirit?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>> And speaking of trusting God, my 12 year old daughter pointed out that Jesus Himself would not be a "Christian" by this doctrine. <<<

Jesus would make a very bad Christian by a number of metrics. To my knowledge, He never:
* Attended a Christian church (He did frequent synagogues, but they're Jewish)
* Made an official profession of faith to become a communicant member of a church
* Went to theological college to get a Bachelor of Divinity (although He was divine, and He was a bachelor)
* Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

However, He did evangelize enthusiastically. Somewhat unconventionally, at times (making a whip out of cords is NOT the best way to show your respect for local customs!), and He never went around churches drumming up support, but His evangelistic methods were undeniably effective.

Actually, to be technically correct, Jesus is no more a Christian than a ball is a cricketer. He is the one who gives meaning to the word Christian, but one cannot follow oneself.

Getting back to the point... It's sometimes nice to hear of stories where someone relinquished all and was given it back. But I've seen numerous children's stories that are based on that (the plot keeps coming back to "Character has a choice between doing something fun, and obeying his/her parents. Character dithers for a while, then decides to obey parents. Parents figure out a way to let Character do the fun thing anyway."), and the end result is that these topsy-turvydom responses become the expectation rather than a bonus.

Often in life we WILL get a choice between doing what we want, and doing what's right. Sometimes if we pick what's right, we get a reward. Often we don't. Setting children up to expect a reward is setting them up for disappointment.

Anonymous said...

I thought the exact same thing as I watched that movie. What about the infertile couple who LOVES the Lord with all of their hearts that never sees the pregnancy test with the plus sign? It's like the baptist version of faith healing. 'course, I've always been a "Lord of the Flies" kind of girl. I like it when art (literary or visual) looks like real life might. I'll save the fairytales for someone else.
I miss you, girl. I love your honest spirit, not pretenses with you: )
By the way, I thought for years that Nickelback and Nickel Creek were the same. I kept wondering why Nickel Creek had turned into such a terrible band (in my opinion)when they were so musically wonderful! I was very relieved to learn that they are two different bands. sigh...
Tell the kiddos I said hello!

tricia

PS-I have a blog here, but I don't remember my password.
www.boggartsblots.blogspot.com
My present artistic endeavor is stamp carving. Writing is on hold.

Unknown said...

"Honestly, I was surprised that the actors in the film are simply church members, not professional actors. Maybe one or two I might've pegged, but the leading characters were well-portrayed."

Kinda makes you wonder why actors in Hollywood get paid millions and millions of dollars, doesn't it?